Does AI generated content affect website rankings?
Artificial intelligence (AI), especially with the launch of ChatGPT, has revolutionised the way businesses operate, and content creation is no exception. With AI, businesses can now generate text based content with minimal human intervention. With AI, the time and resources needed to produce quality content on a daily basis has been reduced to a great extent.
However, AI generated content has become a serious concern among business owners.
Many businesses fear whether Google penalises websites that use AI-generated content or in other words whether the website rankings on Google are impacted by AI generated content.
In this blog post, we will discuss this issue in detail and I will also provide some useful tools for checking AI-generated content, as well as five new AI tools that small business owners may find helpful.
What is AI Generated Content?
AI generated content refers to content created by machines using algorithms that analyse data, recognise patterns, and generate text or media.
In the case of text-based content, AI generated content often involves feeding large amounts of data into an algorithm, which then uses natural language processing (NLP) to create written content that mimics the style and tone of the human-written text.
If you have used ChatGPT, you know exactly what it feels like. As if you are chatting to a person, isn’t it?
Does Google Penalise Websites for Using AI Generated Content?
The answer to this question is not a straightforward “yes” or “no.”
Google’s primary goal is to deliver the most relevant and useful content to its users.
In fact, Google has provided a list of questions that your content must answer. Some of the simplest ones to consider are as follows:
- Is the content easy to understand, has no spelling errors and useful for the reader?
- Is the content original and the sources mentioned in the article legit?
- Is the data presented in the text generated from reliable sources?
- Are the headings and subheadings define a proper summary of the text that follows them?
- Is this article shareable with others or would others find it helpful?
Google’s algorithm that ranks your website on the search engine is designed to use many different factors to rank a website’s content. First, it identifies relevant content and then gives it a rank. To do this, it identifies the E-E-A-T which is the Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness of the content.
And out of them, all Trust is the most important factor!
You don’t build trust with AI, but you do it directly with a human.
Therefore, if AI generated content meets this criterion, it is unlikely that Google will penalise a website for using it.
However, if AI generated content is of poor quality, spammy, or irrelevant, Google will definitely flag it as low-quality content, and the website may suffer a penalty. Fair isn’t it? 🙂
Book a 30-minute FREE consultation to discuss the use of AI tools for your small business.
Useful Tools to Check AI Generated Content
Use these tools to find out if an article has AI generated content:
- Copyscape – It is a tool that checks for plagiarism and duplicate content.
- Content At Scale – Free AI content detector.
- Originality.ai – Paid AI detector for plagiarism and AI content.
- Hugging Face – An AI community used by Google A.I, Intel etc that has a free AI content detection tool.
- GPTzero – The World’s #1 AI Detector with over 1 million Users
- Crossplag – Free AI tool helping academicians ensure authenticity of work.
5 New AI Tools for Small Business Owners
Here are five new AI tools that small business owners may find helpful:
- Acrolinx – A tool that uses AI to improve content quality by providing suggestions for tone, style, and terminology. Acrolinx governs and improves the enterprise content.
- Phrasee – A tool that uses AI to optimize email subject lines and other marketing copy. Phrasee is self-service SaaS platform that revolutionises customer experiences through AI-powered content in real time.
- Chatfuel – It is a customer support and sales automation software that uses AI to create chatbots for customer support and engagement.
- Smartly.ai – It allows you to build your chatbot 10 times faster thanks to an intuitive visual editorand needs no coding at all.
- Neutral Text – It is an all-in-one content marketing platform that saves you time and money and does the job of both keyword research and SEO content writing.
In conclusion, while Google does not penalise websites for using AI-generated content, it is important to ensure that the content is of high quality, relevant for the topic at hand and useful to your target audience.
Using the AI tools mentioned in this post can help you create and optimise content that meets the Google’s ranking criteria. Remember E-E-A-T.
Additionally, small business owners can leverage new AI tools to improve their marketing and customer engagement efforts.
Moreover, newer AI tools like ChatGPT Chatbots can be integrated to your Website, Social media or Whatsapp to handle customer service inquires and free up your staff to perform other important tasks for your business.
If you need help with building your own AI Chatbot on your website, please send me your details at firstname.lastname@example.org
Like what you just read?
By subscribing to the DW newsletter, you will get a chance to be notified for every new blog post that we share about Digital marketing tips and learn actionable digital marketing startegies to manage & grow your small business.
Need help with Google & Facebook advertising for your small business? I would love to help. Book a 30-minute FREE consultation with me. Please click on this link – Select a Date & Time – Speak with Swarn from Dreamworx Marketing
Join 300+ small business owners
Subcribe to our email list and get a chance to win upto 4 months of Google ads management for free
Explore More Articles To Improve your small business
service with a smile, our interest is in your business growth
One stop marketing agency for small business Owners
We’re relentlessly focused on getting our clients more sales, and qualified leads thus hitting their business’s growth goals. From service-based businesses to e-commerce businesses and startups, we have helped businesses in almost all major niches.